Sunday, June 12, 2011

9) Someone Like You-Sarah Dessen



See? What did I say? I quickly picked up another Dessen book as soon as I was emotionally stable after finishing Dreamland. This one seemed like a quick read and interesting enough. It quickly became my favorite one prior to even reading more of her work.

Halley gets a frantic call from her best friend, Scarlett, pleading with her to come home from camp. It turns out, Scarlett's boyfriend Michael has gotten in an accident and passed away. What's more is that Scarlett soon finds out that she is pregnant and will need all the help she can from Halley now that Michael is gone. Halley also begins dating a boy named Macon Faulkner (that I managed to fall in love with) who teaches her more about herself in one summer than she ever knew before.

Yes, that sounds like a general book aimed at teen girls that I would normally skip over, but it was honestly really great. It really shows the importance of friendship and how you need to experience all that you can in order to grow into the person you're suppose to be. If you don't go out there and LIVE, you'll never know what life is all about.

If you're sitting there reading this and thinking, "Wait a minute, that sounds like...wasn't that a movie or something?" Yes, it was one of the two books that was mashed together and used for the script for How to Deal starring Mandy Moore. I decided to overlook that because I felt that this was a story that could stand alone, but that's just me.

If you want to read a Dessen book, I would definitely suggest this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment