Friday, June 17, 2011

18) A Visit From the Goon Squad-Jennifer Egan


I have been pretty excited to write about this. After I read this, I wanted to tell everyone I knew to read this book. Even if they didn't like reading, I wanted to force this book down their throats. I loved this book THAT much.

The book starts with Sasha, an assistant at a record label in New York City. She's on a date with a guy named Alex who is new to the city. Each new chapter introduces us to someone related to the character from the previous chapter. It starts in the present and weaves between now, the eighties, the nineties and ends in the future. It's a bevy of interesting characters that you end up feeling sympathy for at one point in their tale. I only note that because they really aren't the nicest characters when their stories begin. 

As much as I love this book, I'm finding it difficult to really get into it. For whatever reason, it seems to be really difficult to describe. It's a wonderful story that's pulsing with music on every page. At certain points, you find yourself wanting to deck yourself out fully in leather and stud everything to hell and back. Okay, that happened only once or twice, but who's counting? The characters are interesting and once you get beyond the first few chapters and get into the groove, it's incredibly hard to put down. 

I certainly see how this recently won the Pulitzer for Fiction this year. It's gripping in every way. I honestly cannot recommend this book enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment