Wednesday, June 15, 2011

11) That Summer-Sarah Dessen



Like I said, I went on a bit of a Dessen binge. It happens sometimes, okay? You try abstaining once you start! 

Anyway...

In this book, we meet Haven who feels like a giant at 15. In the summer we spend with her, her dad is about to get remarried to the local weather girl not too long before her older sister is about to get married to her main squeeze, Lewis. Not only does her size take a toll on her, but so does the way everyone has seemed to have changed over the course of the year prior. When one of her sister's ex-boyfriend's from high school returns home, she reflects back on the summer he was around and she felt as if everything was perfect. Of course, nothing is ever as perfect as it seems and soon Haven begins to realize that. But what does she do with this knowledge? Does she change her perspective? Her outlook on her life and those involved in it?

I don't know. Read the book!

Personally, this wasn't my favorite Dessen. I enjoyed it, but didn't feel as attached to the characters as I had in the previous two I had read. Plus, Haven was a bit too stubborn sometimes and it sort of made you want to slap her from time to time. It was still a good read and in my effort to read all of her books as soon as possible, I'm glad I read it. 

(If you read it, you may also see plot points from How To Deal. This was the second book used as reference for it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment