Wednesday, June 15, 2011

14) Flipped-Wendelin Van Draanen

"Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss... but every once in a while you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare."

This picture alone makes me smile like an idiot. It's seriously one of my favorite books (and subsequently one of my favorites movies). Again, this is categorized as an "Independent Reader" but I feel this is appropriate for all ages. The book is told through one of my favorite narrative styles. Every other chapter is told between Juli Baker and Bryce Loski. 

The Loski's move across the street from the Baker's when the two narrators are in the second grade. They're now in eighth grade and recounting their shared history that got them to where they are now. Juli has been in love with Bryce since she first saw him and his sparkling blue eyes. Bryce has hated Juli Baker ever since that same moment. Soon, they both realize that growing up isn't as easy as they thought it would be and see that how they perceive each other might not have always been correct. 

It's easily the cutest little love story that I have ever read. There are some conversations in the book that I wish had happened in my life. There are also some of the sweetest quotes that I think I have ever read in any book. Ever. And to think that this book would have been lost to me if I hadn't been wandering around Borders one day and happened upon it on one of the tables!

I cannot recommend this book enough. If you don't feel like reading it, I cannot recommend the movie enough. I like that they change it from modern time to the 50s in the movie. Both the book and the movie are absolutely perfect in every way. There's no other way to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment