Wednesday, June 15, 2011

12) When You Reach Me-Rebecca Stead



Okay, I'll be honest. I saw this book in the "Independent Reader" section last spring and have been eyeing it ever since. I would see it in every bookstore and Target I walked into. I kept telling myself to buy it and then managed to just never do so. Finally, I placed the paperback in my (always full) Amazon cart and clicked "Order Cart" in one of my frequent fits of rage and stress that seemed to be happening with alarming frequency over this previous semester. Ah, the life of an English major.

When it came in the mail, bundled with the new Megan McCafferty and another Circle of Heck, it certainly wasn't the first one I wanted to read. But since I've been pining over this book for over a year, I figured it would be best to just get it out of the way.

Miranda is a sixth grader in New York City who just recently parted ways with her best friend, Sal. Her mom has recently been told she would be a contestant on Password, Miranda can't stop reading A Wrinkle in Time and she starts getting odd notes from an anonymous person. Once she starts hanging out with some new friends, she starts realizing how everything can change but it doesn't have to be for the worst. There's time travel, family, friendship, identity and some serious surprises. Plus, there's a round of Password. Where's the downside?

This book reminded me heavily of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which is a good thing! If you liked that book, you would certainly like this one. The main characters were a bit similar and both full of incredible insight. I was really happy that I had finally picked this book up. It's definitely worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment