Sunday, June 12, 2011

4) The Hunger Games-Suzanne Collins



Here's the situation, guys. Last year, I was absolutely beaten over the damn head by emails from various book vendors prodding me to pre-order, "run out and buy it today!" and asking me why I hadn't gotten my copy of the final book in the trilogy. I shook it off (like a moron) and it wasn't until about a week later when the woman I babysit for told me that it was absolutely imperative to read these books. So, I took her advice.

THANK GOD I DID.

In a nutshell, this is a trilogy of a future where America has fallen to ruin and replaced by thirteen districts run by the capitol. By the time this novel starts, thirteen has been destroyed 75 years prior due to a rebellion held by the districts. To show the districts who's boss, the capital begins taking two tributes, a boy and a girl, from every district once a year to participate in an arena battle to the death called the hunger games. Readers follow the main character, Katniss, as she (very obviously) becomes a tribute in the 74th annual games.

While it takes a chapter or two to get into the story, it's impossible to put down once you really get into the groove. Despite her being a bit of a difficult girl, you can't stop yourself from rooting for Katniss and soon enough, absolutely impossible to avoid falling in love with her fellow tribute, Peeta Mellark (okay, that's really just for the girls, but let's not focus on that). It's a roller coaster of emotions. I often found myself screaming, "AH! OH MY GOD!" or "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?" or "NOO! THAT CAN'T BE HAPPENING! STOP!" Naturally, these are all said aloud because you simply can't hold it in.

There are a few scenes here and there that can get pretty graphic violence wise once the tributes enter the arena, but you overlook it because it's so completely well written. Collins manages to make you feel so deeply for these characters and simply loathe any character who poses a threat to them. As you approach the last few chapters, your eyes can't take in the words fast enough and you're wondering what the hell is happening. Did that just happen? Did that character really just say that? How could I possibly be so hurt on behalf of a fictional human on paper? It's absolutely bizarre. 

But trust me when I say, this will be the book that leaves you clamoring for the second one the moment you close the book. Once you're hooked, there's no getting out.


No comments:

Post a Comment