Thursday, June 30, 2011

20) Bumped-Megan McCafferty


This is a book I was seriously looking forward to. Being such a big Jessica Darling fan, I wanted to see what her next series would be all about. Needless to say, this book was a bit like crack. I could NOT put this down. At one point, I put my phone in another room because I was annoyed that people were talking to me and trying to be my friend. That's how fantastic this book was.

Told between the perspectives of identical twin sisters Melody and Harmony, we learn that by 2036, all humans go completely barren by the time they reach 18-20 owing to a virus. This makes teenagers the hottest commodity seeing as they are fertile and essentially the only hope there is for keeping the human race alive. Melody has one of the best contracts with a leading surrogate agency, but because the couple who hired her have such high standards, she has yet to "bump" with anyone and is almost reaching the age where the virus will soon take over. As if that wasn't enough, the twin sister she barely knows (Harmony) shows up from Goodside (the church settlement that adopted her) and threatens Melody's life in many ways. If people found out that there were identical, ideal and fertile twins, it could cause Melody to lose her contract, thereby rendering all the work her parents have put into making her the perfect specimen completely meaningless while simultaneously ruining her future as well. How will Melody and Harmony deal with this? Why did Harmony run away from Goodside in the first place?

It's a very interesting read. It's quite topical as well. With the media being so obsessed with shows like 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom (okay, I AM guilty with that one), I'm glad someone sat down and thought, "Well, what if ONLY teenagers could get pregnant? What if they were our only hope for humanity? What would that be like?" They are very interesting questions that at one point, we may have all asked ourselves. 

However, getting to the end of this book just made me really mad. There's a massive cliffhanger and the next one won't be coming out until next YEAR. How am I supposed to wait that long? Ah, well. There are always more books!

No comments:

Post a Comment