Sunday, June 12, 2011

7) Slam-Nick Hornby



When I walk into a bookstore, rarely will I go in with an idea of what I'm looking for. I meander between the shelves, perusing the material and hoping to find something that strikes my fancy. Rarely do I read more than one or two books by the same author, but I absolutely ADORE Nick Hornby. High Fidelity happens to be one of my absolute favorite books of all time.

However, this wasn't my favorite Hornby. The main character, Sam, is a 15-year-old skater who talks to his poster of Tony Hawk to get through his problems. When he meets his girlfriend and subsequently knocks her up, it bounces between the future and the present in a really odd way. It's quite an interesting take on the idea of bouncing between the two points in time, but it felt a bit off to me.

It was quite an interesting story. Although, I feel like he should stick more to adult fiction as opposed to young adult. I feel his talent is more appropriate for that sort of audience. What I always loved about his work just wasn't there for me with this one. There were a few good quotes here and there, but this surely isn't one that I would jump on rereading again soon. 

If you want to read Nick Hornby, I would recommend High Fidelity, A Long Way Down or About a Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment