Thursday, June 16, 2011

16) The Sixty-Eight Rooms-Marianne Malone



This is another one I had been eying for quite some time. As I have lived just outside Chicago for all of my life, I have frequented the Art Institute and of course, the room of miniatures. After reading this book, I have learned these are called the Thorne Miniatures Rooms. Clearly, I was paying a whole lot of attention on all of those class field trips. Money well spent, Mom.

The morning Ruthie wakes up thinking her life is even less than ordinary, her best friend finds a key in the corridor of the Art Institute that makes it extraordinary. When Jack touches the key, nothing special happens. When Ruthie takes the key to examine it, she suddenly feels heat racing through her body and winding encircling her. The next thing she knows, she's roughly five inches tall. After releasing the key, she grows back to her normal height and stares into Jack's bewildered, yet excited, expression. Was it possible to sneak into the museum after hours and examine the rooms she had come to fall in love with? What lurks beyond the interior of the rooms? Did the magic of the key extend beyond the walls and transport her back to the time period of the room? Was it possible for Jack to accompany her?

Ah, so many questions raised. What I think I liked most about this book WAS the fact that it was about something I had seen so many times in my life. It made me want to go back and look at this permanent exhibit from a completely different perspective. It made you wonder what it would be like to actually be able to walk through those rooms. And then it made me want to find a mythical, magical key and find out for myself how fantastic interior design was in Paris just before the French Revolution, early colonial America, medieval England and ancient China. Sadly, I feel I would have no such luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment