Friday, June 17, 2011

19) The Jane Austen Book Club-Karen Joy Fowler


Confessions must be made, kids. I am, in fact, a Jane Austen-ite. I'm not a member of any sort of society, club or underground cult. However, if I spot a book that in any way relates to Jane Austen (with the exception of a few weird spin-offs), I will more likely than not place them on the already tumbling stack under my arm. This book is the one that started this awful, downward spiral that has now spread to my friends. Whether or not they thank me for that is not something for me to answer.

Despite my aversion to rereading books as often as possible (there are far too many books to only read a few over and over until the spine breaks), I can't help rereading this one. It makes me really happy. I've also done all that I can to sneak the movie adaptation into every movie night with any friend. It happens.

Anyway, a hodge-podge group of six people get together to form the All Jane Austen All the Time Book Club. Though it's meant as a distraction for only one of their members, it turns out that each member has a problem that needs a distraction. Each person chooses one of the six novels and each section of the book focuses on that character and the discussion they have on that book. The characters are so lovable and all so different. They each learn and grow through the novels and discussion. It's absolutely fantastic.

As I said, this is also a movie and if you feel as if you'd rather watch the movie instead of reading the book (shame on you), then go for it. Both are absolutely wonderful. It wasn't until I read this book in high school that I even thought to read Jane Austen. Thank god I did read this book because I would be hopelessly lost without the romance, the leading men and the swept away feeling each one gives you. If you want to read a Jane Austen, read Persuasion. It's my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment