Sunday, June 12, 2011

10) The Alchemist-Paolo Coelho



You know you've all seen this book at the store. You've heard people rave about it. You wonder if what they're saying is of their own opinion or just agreeing with everyone else's. Was it as good as everyone says? Or are people just saying they read it in order to gain some sort of credibility? Why the hell does every book club ever read this book?

I can genuinely say that that was my thought process when I finally decided that I would check this book out. I'm not big on religious texts, but despite the amount of Jesus juice pumping through the pages, it was actually tolerable. I didn't mind it because it wasn't blatant "SUPPORT JESUS OR BURN IN HELL"material. It was seamlessly tied in and gave me more of a "trust the universe and great things will come your way" sort of vibe. 

I certainly see why this is so frequently read and so highly praised. I don't want to get all ridiculous here, but this book absolutely changed my way of thinking about myself and my life. So many people walk around thinking "That will NEVER happen to me!" or "Dreams are just that; dreams. They're not reality." But how do we know that? That sort of backwards thinking is the reason we all feel a little less excited about our lives. The more negative thoughts we think, the less positive progression we experience. It really gives you a new perspective on life and that is such a special thing.

It's a short read that is incredibly enlightening. I think that's what I liked most about it. It didn't force religion upon you or make you feel like you're in the wrong for lacking faith. It made you feel like you have control over your fate in even the simplest way. All you have to do is remember what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment