Monday, October 10, 2011

44) Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist-Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

I'm thinking I would like to dance in the rain with this person. I would like to lie next to him in the dark and watch him breathe and watch him sleep and wonder what he's dreaming about and not get an inferiority complex if the dreams aren't about me.

"Would you be my girlfriend for five minutes?" Nick asks a girl wearing a flannel shirt in a seedy music club in lower Manhattan. Norah is about to say no but when she sees Tris walking towards them, pulls Nick's mouth to hers in an effort to avoid conversation. Little did either one know, they were both trying in vain to avoid Tris. 

This is how Nick and Norah meet. Two kids who are deeply heartbroken in different ways. They talk and fall silent. They laugh but try to hide the smile. Each one falls in love with the idea of the other person but overanalyze everything before it happens in their own completely neurotic way. When they enter a burlesque club and discover that one of their favorite bands, Where's Fluffy?, will be playing a secret show there later in the night. They decide to stay and tip-toe around putting together the pieces of one another. The band takes the stage and the bodies fall in sync with the music and Norah does all she can to prove that she isn't frigid and that Tal was wrong about her. Meanwhile, Nick is seeing that her heart isn't in it and she's coming onto him for all the wrong reasons. The game of keep-away begins again. They break apart and she leaves the club. Once he finds her, she hails a cab and is off into the night. Nick wonders if he should go after her. Norah wonders why she left. They both wonder why they're dancing the tango when they could easily be dancing the waltz.

Another Adolescent Fiction read. Of course, I'd seen the movie (I vaguely remember a rather loud group of people sitting over a section and up talking the whole time and then yelling at me for the split second light from my phone as I checked the time), but I was excited to read the book. To be perfectly honest, as well as I could picture the actors in my head, it was hard to picture them as the characters in this book as I was reading. They were great in the movie, but they weren't what I pictured while perusing the pages. I liked this book, but I wish it was longer. It clocks in around 183 or so pages. Quick read, but I wish it was longer. I liked the music aspect as well. It was funny and made me feel like the way I talk isn't bizarre. 

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment