Thursday, August 9, 2012

35) Lola and the Boy Next Door-Stephanie Perkins


Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.

Lola Nolan is a different person every day. Hoping to one day become a costume designer, she changes her outer appearance every day. On the inside, though, she's just as sweet as ever. She loves her dads, her dog, Heavens to Betsy, her job at the movie theater, her best friend and her boyfriend, Max. Everything seems to be going really well in Lola's life. That is until she sees the Bell family moving back in next door. Before she can freak out, she scopes out the house and notices that he's not with them. Phew, that was a close one. No need to freak out! Or is there?

Days later he's there. Cricket Bell. The one that got away. The one that broke her heart. What is she going to do? Lola decides to be as nice seeing as she's completely over him. Or is she? No, she's in love with Max! Max, the guy that neither of her dads likes. Max, the older guy. Max, the jealous type. Max, the one she's suddenly not sure of as she gets closer to Cricket Bell once again. It doesn't help that Cricket lives in the same dormitory as Lola's co-worker, Anna's, boyfriend, Etienne at Berkley. But this isn't the same Cricket Bell that broke her heart. This is a more mature, grown up, ready to stand on his own two feet version of Cricket. Could Lola still be in love with Cricket?

Okay, seriously. I was as in love with this one as I was its predecessor. I literally just couldn't stop giggling and smiling the whole time! (To be clear: I neither giggle nor blush in my daily life. This is a shift in the cosmos for me. Smiling, yes. Giggling, no.) It was just such a sweet book. And it was absolutely wonderful to see Anna and Etienne. I thought that it was really funny and really well written and it flowed just like French Kiss. You really did just want to jump into the pages and hangout with these people. They're just really great characters and their situations don't seem at all overdramatized or entirely unrealistic. It felt, again, like learning about your friends.

I was incredibly sad to have finished it so quickly, but upon flying to my laptop once again I discovered: Stephanie Perkins is writing a third! Ah! It's so exciting to me. I can't wait to read all about Isla and see exactly how Anna, Etienne, Lola and Cricket play into her story. I'm sure it will be wonderful. The only problem? I have to wait all the way until next fall. Why must you do this to me, Perkins? So hurtful!

No comments:

Post a Comment