Wednesday, May 9, 2012

20) Your Own, Slyvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath-Stephanie Hemphill


Sylvia Plath had quite a life. From the time she was young, she would write every day. She worshipped a father who she lost at a young age and was boy crazy long before her peers were. Her life was a collection of writing awards, high praise and a revolving cast of men. During college, she had her first bout of serious depression even though she was surrounded by nothing but opportunity. From there, she met her future husband and entered into a bit of a tumultuous marriage. Even after her two children were born and she had success with her writing, she still wasn't satisfied with life and ended it.

You get her entire life's story through nonfiction poems in the style of her most famous poems. It takes interviews and letters from the people in her life and puts them in poetry format. To give you more background information, there are footnotes at the bottom better explaining her life and what was going on at the time.

However, apart from making me want to read some of her poetry, I really wasn't into this book. I don't know if it was the format or just the subject material, but it wasn't for me, I guess. Plus, there was an entire section where I just kept thinking, "This reads exactly like The Bell Jar." It wasn't my favorite book and I found it wildly depressing, so I wasn't entirely into it. Ah, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment