Thursday, January 12, 2012

1) You Better Not Cry-Augusten Burroughs


This was a book similar to the Sedaris Christmas essay collection. There was an essay of Augusten as a young boy lusting over Santa once he discovered that Santa and Jesus are not in fact the same person. There was an essay of his being quite determined and deceptive as a child toward getting exactly what he wanted. Another essay discussed how he got so incredibly drunk that he ended up among the bums of New York City realizing that maybe he needed to turn his life around.

There are a few other essays that actually made me feel quite sad, I won't go into much more detail. 

While some parts really had me laughing, this collection of essays didn't really do it for me. I was sad, too. I really wanted to like this book, but there was just such a feeling of "woe is me" throughout every essay that I felt like I was wading through the currents of his self pity. Plus, some of the language and wording he used really turned me off. There were some good bits, but they were most certainly outweighed by the not so great bits.

I read it, but that doesn't mean that I recommend it. Sedaris, yes. Burroughs, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment