Wednesday, December 28, 2011

59) Holidays On Ice-David Sedaris


Okay, I'll admit this right now. I'm a pretty big David Sedaris fan. I was excited to find a compilation of just Christmas stories alone because, quite frankly, I've never laughed as hard as when I read "Six to Eight Black Men" for the first time in Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Yes, my children, that one is most certainly featured in this collection of essays.

There are a few familiar essays from his previous books, along with about six new essays. There are maybe two that are in no way nonfiction, but I certainly wasn't mad at it. I was a bit disappointed in one or two, but overall I really enjoyed this. It's a good laugh and funny to read around the holidays.

If you want to read about the adventures of being an elf in Herald Square's Santaland, it's right here. If you want to read about the customs of the Dutch at Christmas, search no further. Are you looking to read about a prostitute in the kitchen at four am? Well, my friend, you found the right book!

If you are not a Sedaris fan, I suggest at least giving him a shot. He may not be for everyone, but he is hysterical to me. Since this is such a small collection, this would be easy to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment