Wednesday, September 14, 2011

37) The Chocolate War-Robert Cormier



The boys of Trinity Prep know one thing: The Vigils run this place. Even freshman Jerry Renault knows this. That is why when the school does the annual fundraiser, this year chocolates, Jerry is told by the group to defy the staff and not sell the chocolates for ten days. However, once those ten days are up, Jerry continues to say no. Much to the dismay of the corrupt Brother Leon, the student body and, most importantly, himself. This creates a cascade of events. Calls come in the middle of the night, he's attacked on the school grounds and invisible isn't even the right word to describe how he's treated during the school day. So, what happens? Does he sell the chocolates allowing the crazed brother, Archie and the goons of the Vigils win? What happens if he stands his ground? What could they possibly do to him that could make things worse? 

This was another book for my Adolescent Fiction class. I didn't really go into this thinking I'd like it or I wouldn't like it. It was just an assigned book for another class. Sadly, this book just did not do it for me. It might be a classic, but I could have gone without ever reading this as well. There was nothing that was necessarily complex. I spent most of the book bored out of my mind and thinking of all the movies it reminded me of: A Clockwork Orange, School Ties, The Emperor's Club. Then I thought of A Separate Peace and that only made things worse. I didn't like that book at all.

What annoyed me most was that everyone allowed all of these things to happen. The only person who stepped up was Jerry. I mean, let's face it. The brothers allowed the vigils to do what they did. The students did what the vigils said for fear of punishment. The members of the vigils listened to Archie without hesitation instead of telling him he was out of line. God damn! Someone take a stand around here! 

The one thing I did like was that it was told from someone else's perspective each chapter. You saw the story unfold from different aspects. I always find it interesting when authors use that form of narration. I just wish I hadn't been so bored reading this

No comments:

Post a Comment