Saturday, August 27, 2011

29) Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man-Roger Sterling


Any fan of Mad Men knows that Roger Sterling spent most of season four quietly writing his memoir. Like anyone else, I was really hoping that AMC would take it to the next level and actually go ahead and publish the damn thing so we could all feel really cool telling people we read it. No? Just me? Whatever. The point is, they at least did it. Somewhat.

If you're a fan of the show, I definitely suggest owning this. Sadly, it's not his story, but it's full of some of the best Roger Sterling quotes from the series. I repeat, this is a compilation of quotes, not his memoir. So many times I've watched an episode and wanted to high five the writers for coming up with such genius lines. He dedicates sections to dealing with clients, dealing with women, dealing with coworkers and how to properly live life. Not only does it include quotes, but it has some really fantastic photos from episodes as well. I liked sitting there reading it and going, "I TOTALLY REMEMBER HIM SAYING THAT. THAT WAS THE EPISODE WHERE..." I felt pretty awesome about that. Again, that might just be me, but that's not what we're talking about, is it?

As that's really all there is to say about this short little literary gem, I shall leave you now with one of Roger Sterling's shining moments. Isn't he a charmer?

Look, I want to tell you something because your very dear to me and I hope you understand it comes from the bottom of my damaged, damaged heart. You are the finest piece of ass I ever had and I don't care who knows it. I am so glad I got to roam those hillsides.

(Sidenote: Buying this book had nothing to do with my massive crush on John Slattery. Okay, maybe it did.)


No comments:

Post a Comment